Based in Los Angeles, Feminists in Action (FIA-LA) is a network who galvanizes action and results. Here is some of what we've accomplished since November 2016:
- Our off-shoot, Drain the NRA, were the mobilizing organization behind the People’s Action Against Gun Violence march in Los Angeles, attracting over 1,000 protesters and national media coverage.
- Partnered with Bake America Great to raise over $65,000 for Planned Parenthood, Black Lives Matter LA, Black Student Alliance at University of Virginia, Miry's List and the International Rescue Committee.
- Traveled to California's 49th District (San Diego County) to canvass in support for flipping the district.
- Raised over $7,500 for the Bresee Foundation after-school programs and family services through our first Resist-Dance Party.
- Hosted several potluck benefits which raised thousands of dollars for Miry’s List, a nonprofit organization that assists refugee families resettling in the U.S.
- Worked with The Big Hundred to invite America to take 100 Actions during the first 100 days of the Trump administration.
- Organized a Drain the NRA protest at the LA TrueCar offices in response to the money the company puts into advertising within NRA paraphernalia.
- Hosted frequent postcarding sessions for various progressive issues, including flipping CA's 25th district and supporting Alabama's Doug Jones' successful run against Roy Moore.
- Arranged furniture/clothing/diaper drives for organizations in need, such as The Downtown Women's Center, Big Sunday, and Miry's List.
- Set up family-run lemonade stands raising $900 for the Houston Food Bank after Hurricane Harvey.
- Started several monthly book clubs around LA to tackle the topic of white privilege.
Our space is committed to acknowledging and respecting differences and commonalities.
We are committed to creating a space where women of color can participate and lead. We are committed to creating a queer affirming space and freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking. We are committed to creating a women affirming space free from misogyny, sexism and male centeredness where women can participate and lead.
We are committed to making our space family friendly enabling mothers to participate and lead with their children. We are committed to creating a space that is free from ageism and where women of all generations can participate and lead.
We are committed to embracing and making space for our trans sisters to participate and lead. We are committed to creating a space for all differently abled women to participate and lead. We are committed to practicing justice, liberation and peace in our engagements with one another.